Wearing ASOS top, Acne skirt from My Wardrobe and Tony Bianco shoes

Something I always notice when I'm out and about is the number of girls who (in my non-expert opinion) get their makeup look completely wrong for their outfit - I'm talking an intense sparkly top with bright red lips and over-the-top smokey eyes. EEK!

Wearing makeup (or a hairstyle for that matter) that doesn't compliment what you're wearing can be an instant outfit ruiner. Why spend your week's pay on that amazing Aje dress for your birthday if you're going to embellish your face just as much with every product in your makeup bag? 

This will be a short series of posts - each one featuring one of my favourite makeup looks and how I would wear it.


Look one: Contouring, defined eyes and neutral lips.

To create this look, I started with Clinique Even Better Foundation. I used M.A.C. bronzer around the outside of my face and under my cheek bones and added NARS blush to my cheeks. Then, I used an angular brush to apply a matte taupe eyeshadow all around my eyes (including underneath) to define them. Finally, I applied a black eyeliner pencil to fill in my top lashes, followed by one coat of mascara (top lashes only). 

Even though I'd rate this about 4/5 stars in the 'heaviness' factor, this is my favourite go-to makeup look. I wear it to the office, out for drinks or when I'm going somewhere special. 

Likewise, I'd wear this outfit to most of those occasions. See where I'm going with this? You just can't wear your come-hither nightclub eyes to your baby cousin's christening. 

Secondly, the outfit and the makeup have similar things going on - i.e. clean, yet defined. Some would argue that the monochrome colour scheme lends itself to a red lip, but I think the outfit speaks for itself so it should be the focus. 

What do you think?

Part two coming soon! x


M.A.C. bronzing powder, NARS blush in Outlaw and Clinique High Impact Extreme Volume Mascara.



Photos by Jesse Lizotte.


Follow me:

On Facebook: The Chronicles of Her blog.

On Twitter: @CHRONICLESOFHER

On Instagram: @chroniclesofher_


 
Top